Thursday, March 12, 2009

What is the right thing to do leh?

Yesterday Gaby came home from the playground very upset. He told me that he is upset becos his friends didn't want to let him play with their toys. Said that Shawn and Yiyang didn't want to share their toys when he asked them for permission (yes, i have taught him that he has to ask permission before taking things from other people). So I told him that it's ok if his friends didn't want to share the toys, perhaps they still want to play with it themselves. But he replied that they are not playing with it anymore and still didn't want to share... he feels that his friends didn't like him anymore. I can see that he is really upset. So I told him that it's not everytime that when you ask, you will get. Sometimes he has to be ready for rejection. And you know what he told me, he said that ah mah said if they didn't want to share then in future he don't have to share with them. OMG!!! I quickly corrected him that no, this is not really how ah mah meant... I tried to twist it around for ah mah. Actually I am not very sure if ah mah really said this to him.

I remembered that sometime ago I have told him and not once but a few times that if his friends want to share his toys, he should readily said yes. But if he still wants to continue playing with them and not ready to share, then he has to tell his friends nicely that sorry, i am still playing with it and I will lend it to you later. So yesterday I told him the same, and that even if this friend didn't want to share his toy with him, he shouldn't feel revengful about it and not want to share toys or play with this friend in future. And before bedtime, I tried to remind him about what I told him before. I hope he remembers... will remind him again later when I reached home.

No comments: