Saturday, December 01, 2012

Slice of life

Saw this on someone's Facebook post...

There was a young woman who didn't like her job. Everyday she told her husband how terrible her day had been, how tiring the work and how unreasonable her boss.

“Leave that job," her husband told her.

"Oh I will," she said. “But not yet. I have too many friends there for me to leave just yet."

And so she complained until the days became years and her family grew to five.

“Leave that job," her children told her.

“Oh I will," she said. “But not yet. I have seniority and four weeks vacation I can spend with you. I'm not ready to start over just yet.”

And so she remained unhappy at work until the years became decades and her children had children.

“Leave that job," her grandchildren told her.

“Oh I will," she said. “But not yet. There's only seven more years until I reach thirty years of service and can retire. So I can't just yet."

I know this woman. And so do you. There are scores like her.

This reminds me of the story about an old dog half-asleep on the porch of the general store, moaning and groaning in the sun.

“Why is your dog acting that way?" a customer asked the store owner.

“Oh," answered the man, “he's lying on a nail."

“Well, why doesn't he move?"

“Because it's not hurting him badly enough."

That's true for people, too. And I’m not just talking about our jobs. What about abusive relationships? And any area in your life that is consistently draining you of the happiness you deserve? We convince ourselves the pain is not bad enough to leave. But we're wrong. It’s not about the pain not being “bad” enough. It’s about the fact that we deserve better.

Prolonged pain damages our self-esteem, kills our passion and destroys our dreams. When we compromise our values, quiet our voice, hide our pain and meekly accept abuse, we’re letting ourselves down. What is the nail you’re lying on? Is it time to do something about it?

3 comments:

Ann said...

Well said! So true too.

bhacosem said...

True that. Maybe it's the fear of letting go is holding us back? hmm.

Unknown said...

I Love this! I know so many people who are like this. They always moan about it but when it comes to someone telling them to leave, they say, 'oh it's not that bad'
So true!